Declan is Head of Real Estate at Maples Teesdale and is one of the UK’s leading real estate development lawyers working on high profile projects in the offices, industrial/logistics, town centre repositioning, and living sectors, for both developers and institutional funders.
- Acted for Corporation of London on development agreement and geared 150 year investment lease with developer, Ivanhoe Cambridge/CORE, for 250,000 sq ft redevelopment of Stonecutter Court in the City, a £350m office and retail project. Major pre-let of the offices to Travers Smith.
- Acting for YOO Capital on the development of a large site at their Shepherds Bush Market scheme for a 400,000 sq ft mixed use project including offices and affordable housing in a JV with the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
- Acting for abrdn forward funding the development of care homes and PBSA schemes.
- Acted for Legal & General on the purchase repositioning and subsequent sale of the Grafton Shopping Centre in Cambridge including proposed alternative uses within the scheme of a hotel, serviced offices, a maths school and student accommodation, plus a cinema re-gear and refurbishment of the malls.
- Forward commitments for BMO Real Estate (now Columbia Threadneedle) including a Barberry development in Birmingham of a high end logistics scheme pre-let to marine parts manufacturer, Truflo.
- Acted for Mace Developments on a development agreement and geared headlease with Trinity College, Cambridge for 200,000 sq ft office scheme on Cambridge Science Park.
- Acted for Chelsea Football Club on part of their £1bn CFC redevelopment project (currently in abeyance).
- Acting for Corporation of London on a project with developer, GPE, for the development of 2 Aldermanbury Square in the City as offices and retail/public realm, end value circa £500m.
- Advising leading international law firm, Eversheds Sutherland LLP, on their occupational requirements in the UK including their pre-let of circa 50,000 sq ft of space at the Two New Bailey scheme in Manchester, currently being developed by English Cities Fund, a JV between Muse, L&G and the local Council.
- Acted for Legal and General on purchase of a Tesco distribution unit development and adjacent railport operation from Stobart for £60m.
- Associate at Norton Rose, 1989 – 1998
- Partner at Maples Teesdale, 1998 onwards
Awards and recognition:
- Recognised as one of the Best Lawyers in UK Real Estate law
- Leading Individual Band 1 Chambers 2023
- "A very responsive and integrated firm, where the real estate teams work well together to provide a seamless performance."
- ‘Maples Teesdale is a specialist property firm. They have skills and experience comparable to a much larger firm’s real estate team. I have worked with Maples for ten years and have always found them to be highly professional, capable and generally good people to work with.’
- Declan Power is the standout name on the projects front and handles a range of matters, including forward funding and purchases, joint ventures and development agreements, chiefly in respect of retail, mixed-use, office and industrial schemes. Legal 500 2022
- 'Attention to detail and easy access to partners. Declan Power stands out in particular as someone I would appoint in the future to provide commercial property legal advice.' Legal 500 2021
- 'Declan Power and Roger Thornton have vast experience and know how to solve issues and get deals done.' Legal 500 2020
- 'Outstanding operator Declan Power is very responsive, commercial and practical.' Chambers 2019
- 'Excellent real estate lawyer Declan Power is known as an outstanding choice for larger transactions, both on development and investment matters.'