At Maples Teesdale we understand the office market. We have over 30 years’ experience in advising clients on office sales and purchases, and acting for both landlords and occupiers on office lettings
We have close connections with a large number of agents and keep ourselves up to date with developments in the office market including recent updates to the Service Charge Code and IFRS 16.
All of our lawyers are committed to property and have a keen interest in helping our clients achieve their objectives on every transaction we assist with.
The team at Maples Teesdale are experienced in acting for occupiers on all manner of transactions. We have acted on a significant number of head office moves for large organisations, several of which involved the additional task of disposing of or consolidating existing premises, and also for occupiers of portfolios. We offer a complete service and can guide occupiers through the process – starting with agreeing effective heads of terms and ending with fit-out and occupation itself.
Our advice is commercial and we understand that the key issues in taking space can often be practical in nature, for example agreeing the signage rights, obtaining consent to fit-out and ensuring there is adequate plant and riser space for a tenant’s use. We are experienced in dealing with these issues as well as the more technical legal negotiation.
Our ultimate aim is to assist occupier clients in managing their ‘space needs’ in a way that minimises business interruption. We are used to acting within tight timeframes if required. We are also happy to take on long projects which might involve planning for a client’s future needs.
Once in occupation we are able to assist with the ongoing management work, including assisting with the negotiation of renewals or the exercise of breaks.
Maples Teesdale has vast experience acting for landlords in the office sector. We act on lettings for several large funds and are used to dealing with all manner of letting transactions, whether that be in London or elsewhere in the country.
Our recent experience includes acting on various pre-lets, lettings of whole and on lettings of multiple occupancy buildings – some in relation to the most iconic buildings in London.
We strive to work alongside our landlord clients and their agents to become an effective and integral part of the management of a building and are able to assist with all aspects of asset management work. Where appropriate, we will prepare and have to hand a full letting pack for a building. This avoids delays in issuing documents to potential new tenants.
We also have a fully integrated Litigation team that is experienced in dealing with any contentious issues with tenants or third parties which might arise.
- We advised BPL Global as a tenant on a pre-let at 52 Lime Street – also known as The Scalpel. This pre-let was the first deal in the new tower and therefore had particular complexities around warranties, lease terms and construction issues.
- We acted for hedge fund manager Capula Investment Management on the move of its London headquarters to new premises in British Land’s newly opened 7 Clarges Street office building within the Clarges development in the heart of London’s Mayfair.
- We advised Gerson Lehrman Group on its plans to almost double its presence in London and move its UK headquarters to One Fitzroy Place in Fitzrovia.
- Advised major institutional investor RSA on the refurbishment and letting of an office building at 62 Threadneedle Street, London EC2. The building is the London headquarters of RBS.
- We advised Tristan Capital Partners on the acquisition of The Interchange Building, a Grade A office asset in Croydon. Tristan purchased from a fund advised by CarVal Investors for £71.5 million.
Roger ThorntonPartner, Commercial Real Estate 020 3465 4315 email@example.com View profile
Sarah GreeneOf Counsel, Commercial Real Estate 020 3465 4320 firstname.lastname@example.org View profile
"The size of the team and the breadth and quality of the advice they provide makes them my go-to firm for real estate. They are equally capable of handling both the large and complex and the day-to-day."Chambers