In 2020, the alternatives sector, driven by student accommodation and PRS was responsible for the largest amount of capital investment in UK commercial real estate, with around £14 billion transacted during the year. The search for stable long term income in a zero interest rate environment will fuel demand for alternative asset classes in 2021.
The key benefits of the alternative sector includes long leases, indexed rental uplifts, better covenants and the potential to diversify portfolios.
We advise on all aspects of alternative investment classes including PBSA, BTR, PRS, Healthcare and Hotels. Our clients include property developers, investors, lenders and borrowers across a number of these asset classes. We believe our total focus on real estate brings specific benefits for our clients.
- The Collective/Cheyne Real Estate – acting on a high rise development being undertaken by a JV comprising The Collective and Cheyne Real Estate for serviced apartments/hotel use at 8 Baltimore Wharf, with a GDV in excess of £170m.
- Maslow Capital – Advising in relation to a £17.5m loan facility to fund the development works at 33 Parkside, Coventry, Warwickshire to create a 262 unit student block of 67,566 sq. ft, with a gross development value of £30m. The development is adjacent to the 33-acre purpose-built University campus in the heart of the city centre.
- Fragrance Hotels – acted for a Singaporean based hotel investor called Fragrance in their acquisition of circa 10 hotels in a variety of locations including Bath, Liverpool and Manchester. The project in Liverpool involved the acquisition of a long lease from the City Council of the Municipal Building in Liverpool for conversion to use as a hotel. The Fragrance projects threw up a variety of planning complexities.
- Acquisitions and leasebacks of GP surgeries for private clients, and currently acting on purchase and leaseback of an ambulance station.
- Anglo Suisse Investments – Acting on the sale of two prime central London freehold buildings, 95 and 97 Harley Street, W1, (each let on a long lease guaranteed by HCA International) to Aberdeen Standard Investments. Both properties were recently refurbished to provide state-of-the-art facilities and cancer treatments at the cutting edge of medicine. The properties are on the western side of Harley Street, surrounded by some of the world’s most prestigious medical practices, including The Harley Street Clinic, The London Clinic and The Heart Hospital.
"Very approachable, offering good advice highlighting options available. Provide regular progress updates and go the extra mile when closing out transactions."Legal 500