Roger is Head of Commercial Real Estate at Maples Teesdale and is a key member of the Offices and Retail sector teams. Roger has extensive experience in investment, sales and purchases including portfolio acquisitions and disposals, commercial property development, acting for developers and landowners and commercial property asset management, including new lettings, lease renewals and lease regearings.
- Acting for property investors on acquisitions and disposals of complex properties including shopping centres for Ellandi and retail and office portfolios for Patrizia
- Advising on redevelopments and the associated funding and preletting aspects for UK funds including Patrizia UK Value Fund developments and Tristan Capital Funds
- Acting for several leading plcs in relation to their office headquarters buildings including Old Mutual plc and Fremantle Media’s London HQs
- Advising on strategic land residential development opportunities including Build to Rent aspects
- Acting for City, University of London on the redevelopment and expansion of its Central London portfolio including student accommodation aspects and the Bayes Business School (formerly Cass) on its major new premises
- Solicitor at Ashurst Morris Crisp and Norton Rose, 1990 –1999
- Partner, Head of Property, at RadcliffesLeBrasseur, 2000
- Partner at Maples Teesdale, 2004
- The British Property Federation (Commercial Property Sub Committee Member)
- The Cambridge University Land Society (Urban Regeneration Forum Member)
- The Commercial Real Estate Legal Association (Committee Member)
- Legal 500 2022 Leading Individual for Commercial Real Estate: Investment
- Chambers UK 2022 Ranked for Commercial Real Estate: Mainly Mid Market
- Legal 500 2022: Specialist commercial real estate firm Maples Teesdale LLP provides a ‘much valued dedicated focus on property’ and is headed by investment specialist Roger Thornton, valued for ‘advising on the finer points of complex transactions’.
- Chambers UK 2022: Roger Thornton handles a broad array of real estate work for investment funds, development companies and landowners. He is adept at handling portfolio purchases, sales and asset management, as well as advising on retail-led investment and development projects.