Roger is Head of Commercial Real Estate at Maples Teesdale and is a key member of the Offices and Retail sector teams. Roger has extensive experience in investment, sales and purchases including portfolio acquisitions and disposals, commercial property development, acting for developers and landowners and commercial property asset management, including new lettings, lease renewals and lease regearings.
- Acting for property investors on acquisitions and disposals of complex properties including shopping centres for Ellandi and retail and office portfolios for Patrizia
- Advising on redevelopments and the associated funding and preletting aspects for UK funds including Patrizia UK Value Fund developments and a major Tristan Capital office park development
- Acting for several leading plcs in relation to their office headquarters buildings including Old Mutual plc and Fremantle Media’s London HQs
- Advising on strategic land residential development opportunities including PRS aspects
- Acting for City, University of London on the redevelopment and expansion of its Central London portfolio including student accommodation aspects
- Solicitor at Ashurst Morris Crisp and Norton Rose, 1990 –1999
- Partner, Head of Property, at RadcliffesLeBrasseur, 2000
- Partner at Maples Teesdale, 2004
- The British Property Federation (Commercial Property Sub Committee Member)
- The Cambridge University Land Society (Urban Regeneration Forum Member)
- The Commercial Real Estate Legal Association (Committee Member)
- Legal 500 2020: Roger Thornton maintains involvement and ensures good client liaison and high levels of advice.
- Chambers UK 2020: Roger is very user-friendly, providing clear, simple and to-the-point advice.